Sunday, June 28, 2009

It's Electric!!

This week and last week the rough electrical has been worked on. Greg ran wire and placed the boxes last week and this week we built the light boxes for our ceiling lights and finished the rough electrical work. Tom, the owner, ordered an awesome exterior light that we drilled holes for the mounting location. The light reflects the industrial feel of the container and will look great out by the front porch. We are getting the main circuit box to mount on the container and the trench will be dug this week to connect the container electrical to the main house panel. After inspections and the hook up we will have power!! Then it’s on to insulation.

The project is moving forward nicely. We have been designing the interior look with materials and colors that we think will reflect the overall design intent.

Here is Greg pulling wire to a receptical box.

This is one of three light boxes we framed out.

Wes drilling holes for our exterior light at the door and porch. Again, the style and look of those lights are a favorite of ours.

This is Tom, the owner, giving us instruction on how he is planning on using the space. "The pool table will go right about here" he exclaims.

Saturday, June 13, 2009

Framing Finished!

Greg and I were very excited about the framing part of the project. We got the lumber and tools assembled and hit it hard. (As shown in the Photo of Greg attacking the wall with the framing gun.)
The back wall was then framed to separate the studio from the bike storage areas. In that wall we framed in 3 shelf nooks that mirror the 3 windows on the west wall.

The framing went relatively quick. We framed out each wall and attached the walls to the steel clips that will secure the wall to the container. (See clip photo)

We are now ready for the rough electrical.

Monday, June 8, 2009

Steel Work Complete.

Just wanted to add a couple photos of the metal grate at the entry of the container. We used a fine perforated steel in the section of the patio by the door. this way, any water that may be on the patio floor will drain before it comes to the door. It may also help with the dirt and sand coming into the finished studio as it will fall down through the holes.

This week we finished up the steel work on the container.

The frames are all set and welded into place. The patio section is cut, ground, and the brackets have been installed to be connected to the main container. We wanted the patio section to be bolted to the main section rather than welded to enforce the portability of the project. Having a bolted connection will make it easy to disconnect the two and transport them to a new site if needed.

We moved the patio section into place with pry bars and muscle, haha.

The great thing about the progress this week is that the project is turning out thus far, as we imagined it in the design phase. The vision we had of the design is what you see. We hope this continues as we begin framing and the finish work.

Props to our steel fabricator, Jason Butler, (His website and art) for the quality work he has done. Great job!!

Next, we will be starting the framing on the inside. We will also be wiring it for the rough electrical in preparation for the inspector.